Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Art projects with my grandson



One fun thing about having a four-year-old grandson is being able to do art projects with him! The Art Guild of Orange Park decorates Christmas balls every year, so I had a few at home I picked up at the meeting last week, and let my grandson decorate them. It's hard to go wrong with these. You just drop paints inside the balls and then turn the balls this way and that to let the colors swirl around. You get great marbling effects and they look all lovely and shiny because of the glass on the outside. I just got out all my acrylics (slightly watered down) and let my grandson pick whatever colors he wanted to drop into the balls. And I think they came out great.


"Hurricane over the Mountain" - by John Cusick (age 4)

 Of course we had lots of wet lumps of paint sitting on a paper plate when we were done, and I hate to just waste it and throw it away. So I got out two pieces of 300-lb watercolor paper cut to a 5x7 size, and we each had two minutes to paint a picture. John gave a running commentary as he did his painting:

 "I'm making a BIG mountain. It's a big dark mountain. Now a big storm is coming. It's a big hurricane over the mountain".


"Sunrise" by Debbie Cusick (age undisclosed)

This is my two-minute painting, which I call "Sunrise". :-)

After that we still had a bit of paint left. So we finished up with "Blobbies". We fold a piece of paper in half, then open it up, and drib-drab paint on one side of the paper. Then we fold it again and press down on it hard! Then we re-open it and have our Blobby picture. They are usually quite fascinating. 

"Blobby #1"

We managed to finish three blobbies before we ran out of paint.

"Blobby #2"

But I'm sure there will be a next time!

"Blobby #3"

No comments:

Post a Comment