Friday, November 8, 2013

Christmas Craftiness


My grandson John was 3 months old for Christmas, 2009. His other grandma is an excellent seamstress, and she made him this cute little elf costume to wear! He sure was adorable in it on Santa's lap.

So this Christmas my granddaughter Finlay will be 9 months old, and my daughter-in-law would love for her to be an elf also. But at 9 months Finlay is much too big (and too chubby) to fit into John's little overalls. The elf hat and shoes still work at least. My DiL said her mom was wasn't able to make an outfit this year so asked if I could do it.

She had hoped fabric could be a brighter green to match the hat and shoes, but the felty fabric John had only seemed to come in dark forest green.

So I decided a Florida elf could get away with lighter fabric and went with a pretty dotted cotton.



And this is the result I came up with. I'm pretty happy with how it came out! The green color is right, and is cheerful, and I think I made it look a little more "feminine". 


And since John's elf outfit was reversable I made Finlay's reversible also. John's was red so Finlay's is also red in the same dotted cotton as the green side.


It truly is reversible as each side has a small button on the bib which can be covered with one of three button covers.

The pattern I used said I needed a yard of each fabric, but I had a lot left over! At least I had just enough to make this small 3-foot by 3-foot quilt top using the two fabrics plus white. Now I have just scraps of the red and green, not enough for a 4th row. So I'll probably just add a border around the quilt to make it a little bit bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment